‘Make Your Own Adventure’ Chocolate Bark – Just in Time for Christmas!

‘Festive Favourites’, the theme for this months – and may I add the CHRISTMAS (yay) – Sweet Adventures Blog Hop got me thinking. I love anything Christmas and anything sweet, which made picking something to write about rather difficult.

Christmas can often be stressful and busy and can creep up on even the most organized people. While I often take month’s dog earring and post-it marking Christmas themed books, some people don’t have the time or energy.

FEAR NOT!! There are a million ways to put festive flavours into a recipe that are easier than goggling ‘Last minute Christmas sweets’.

I love chocolate just as much as I love Chocolate and that is why I chose to post about a ‘make your own adventure’ type chocolate bark recipe. The idea is simple. Choose your favourite flavours and mix them together with some chocolate and BAM…you have a delicious and easy treat to bring to a Christmas party or give away as a gift.

The two that I chose for this occasion where obviously Christmas inspired and are a White Chocolate, Cranberry and Macadamia Bark, and a Dark Chocolate, Cherry and Coconut Bark. These flavours are classic, simple and delicious.

White Chocolate, Cranberry and Macadamia Bark

Ingredients (all can be varied according to taste)

250g Good quality white chocolate
Handful of dried cranberries
Handful of roasted macadamias

Method

1. Dice up the dried cranberries and set aside.
  2. Crush the roasted macadamias, make sure to leave some larger pieces as well as having some smaller dust like pieces
  3. Line a tray (I used a loaf tin to make thick bark) with greased backing paper
  4. Melt the white chocolate over a double boiler until smooth.
  5. Pour the melted chocolate into the lined tin.
  6. Scatter the chopped nuts and fruit over the chocolate evenly. It will sink in nicely.
  7. Cool in the fridge until set
  8. To serve break the bark up revealing the multicolored deliciousness inside!

Dark Chocolate, Cherry and Coconut Bark

Ingredients (again all can be varied according to taste)

250g Dark Chocolate
1/3 – ½ a can of black cherries in syrup
Handful of shredded coconut

Method

1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
  2. Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread the coconut evenly.
  3. Toast in the oven for 5 minutes or until slightly browned (set aside)
  4. Drain the cherries and remove excess syrup, then dice the cherries into small pieces
  5. Line a tray (I used a loaf tin to make thick bark) with greased backing paper
  6. Melt the dark chocolate over a double boiler until smooth.
  7. Pour the melted chocolate into the lined tin.
  8. Scatter the chopped cherries evenly over the chocolate then the coconut
  9. Cool in the fridge until set
  10. To serve break the bark up and enjoy the juicy, crunchy, roasty sweetness.

Not very complicated, huh? I think they are a perfect addition to any Christmas party.

When you’ve eaten way too much ham, roast veggies, prawns and christmas pudding, you’ll always be able to squeeze in a little chocolate. So instead of store bought truffles or something of that kind, make something a little special this year.

Merry Christmas all – I wish good food and drink for you all

Hop over to 84th & 3rd who is hosting this months Sweet Adventures Blog Hop to have a look at what everyone else put together!

About these ads

, , ,

1. #1 by JJ @ 84thand3rd on December 19, 2011 - 6:56 am

These look so good!! I was thinking that white choc chunks would have been really good in my cranberry bars but I didn’t even think about swapping the walnuts for macadamias – brilliance. And the cherry/coconut looks even better. Thanks for joining the hop :)

• #2 by amystown on December 19, 2011 - 6:57 am

Oh Thanks! Thanks for hosting! Glad I made this one in time :)

2. #3 by Lizzy (Good Things) on December 19, 2011 - 9:15 am

Love this idea! Isn’t this blog hop great… we are all exchanging brilliant recipes for deliciously different festive favourites!

3. #4 by Julie on December 19, 2011 - 10:29 am

these make perfect gifts for the kids ;) great idea

4. #5 by Tenille on December 19, 2011 - 11:00 am

This is a wonderfully simple idea, and you could try so many different flavour combinations. Love it.

5. #6 by Christina @ The Hungry Australian on December 19, 2011 - 12:27 pm

Amy – your chocolate bark looks so delicious and I love the way you’ve styled this shoot with those beautiful pink roses.

I’ve been toying with the idea of doing some bark for Christmas Day and your post has prompted me to take the plunge. Thanks for the inspiration!

• #7 by amystown on December 20, 2011 - 12:48 am

Thank you! Had a lot of fun with this shoot :)

6. #8 by thelittleloaf on December 19, 2011 - 1:50 pm

I’ve entered the blog hop for the first time and am absolutely loving discovering so many gorgeous new recipes. Chocolate bark is on my list of things to make this Friday before Christmas and I love your different variations. Yum!

7. #9 by The Kitchen Crusader (@KCrusader) on December 19, 2011 - 2:44 pm

hell yes. Easy and effective. Props lady, props.

8. #10 by Jennifer Wickes on December 19, 2011 - 9:39 pm

Beautiful photos. Your bark looks so delectable.

9. #11 by Mishaps and Mayhem of a Gluten Free Life on December 20, 2011 - 10:56 am

Both pieces of bark look amazing! I’ve been thinking of gifts to go with my gf choc, almond & butterscotch schnapps balls for Xmas gifts, something fuss free and I think I have found it! Thankyou! Also thankyou to 84thand3rd for hosting this fantastic blog hop, the creations that have been uncovered on here are amazing! Can’t wait to add my gf Xmas cake n see all the other recipes!

10. #12 by Winston on December 20, 2011 - 12:43 pm

Hey Amy, great addition to the blog hop with this recipe! You’re right, they ARE simple which makes them even more perfect for Christmas. Christmas dinner is going to be VERY rushed for me this year so I’m all up for SUPER quick, simple but tasty recipe ideas! Nice one!! =)

11. #13 by Jennifer (Delicieux) on December 21, 2011 - 5:00 am

Yum!!! Your cherry chocolate bars sound divine!!! I’m on a huge chocolate and cherry kick at the moment so I could easily devour some of your delicious bark.

I love how you’ve called these “make your own adventure”, it reminds me of those books I used to read when I was a teenager. I used to love them.

• #14 by amystown on December 21, 2011 - 5:16 am

Thanks! I liked the idea what people could turn it into what ever they wanted depending on what they liked :).

Im obsessed with cherries and chocolate too :)

12. #15 by Nic@diningwithastud on December 21, 2011 - 11:48 pm

OMG tell me about it! Im normally SO organised but this year its like all of a sudden Christmas just appeared. What what? Christmas? On Sunday??? Love you bark huni – looks so tasty!

13. #16 by msihua on December 22, 2011 - 9:46 am

For a moment there I thought the flowers were sugar! I thought you made them! Hahahhaa… but these look amazing! Well done!

1. Sweet & Salty Chocolate Bark | The Hungry Australian